- A major operator in the Australian coal seam gas industry engaged PSA Engineering to develop a remote telemetry system to collect real-time data from 40 new groundwater monitoring wells across regional Queensland.
- To comply with new regulatory requirements, our client required a remote solution that would feed real-time data to centralised hydrogeological modelling applications and replace the need for frequent on-site data collection.
- PSA Engineering successfully delivered a reliable and cost-effective turnkey telemetry solution that has been expanded beyond pilot phases of the project.
- Real-time data is being obtained and transmitted to our client’s main office, dramatically reducing on-site collection visits.
- We delivered the project on time and within budget.
To comply with new regulations, our client, a leading Australian natural gas producer, was required to drill 40 monitoring wells across regional Queensland. We significantly reduced the need for boots on the ground and manual data collection by delivering a reliable remote solution.
PSA Engineering delivered a turnkey engineering solution that included the design, manufacture, installation and commissioning of custom groundwater monitoring skids. Our remote solution ensured real-time data is delivered to our client’s Brisbane office, allowing greater visibility of their operations.
The remote telemetry solution needed to operate on a stand-alone power system, include a data acquisition system and be compatible with existing HSSE standards and existing control systems deployed at other facilities within the client’s assets, including:
- Solar-powered surface data acquisition packages with control panels and battery backup. These skids were engineered to withstand winds up to 140km/hr.
- Aerial support pole with sufficient height to communicate with the nearest central access point
- A 450MHz or 3G cellular radio based on the results of desktop and field radio surveys conducted by PSA Engineering
- Networked serial communications across multiple instruments for minimal installation requirements
- Industry-standard data transmission protocols for use with the customer’s SCADA system
- Design and manufacture in accordance with state and Australian standards
- Operational and maintenance manuals.